Monday, 16 November 2015

Place Names in Dornoch





















Place Names are:

ACHAVANDRA (Achvandra) & ACHAVANDRA MOOR – Gaelic, Andrew’s field – west side of A9 north of Dornoch town 

ACHDADUAIG - 1822 labour list

ACHINAEL (Achinal) – 1772 part of the tack of Little Torboll – in Strath Carnaig, road from Mound to Loch Bhuidhie 

ACHINCHANTER – between Dornoch and Embo towards the coast 

ACHINTRESALICH - in Embo - 1822 labour list

ACHLACH - 1822 labour list

ACHLEY – just to the north of Balloan 

ACHOSNICH (Achuschosnich) – Gaelic, cornered field - part of the Rearquhar estate 

ACHTERDUAIG – 1772 part of the tack of Little Torboll 

ACHUAN (Achuoine) – part of the Rearquhar estate

ACHVAICH

AIRE - part of the Rearquhar estate

ARDACHU - 1822 labour list

ARDNACALK - 1822 labour list

ARDSHAVE– west side of A9 north after Poles 

ASDALE (Astle) Norse, ash dale – part of the Rearquhar estate 

AULTAN RIAVACH – part of the Rearquhar estate 

BADNINISH – west side of A9 north of Dornoch town 

BALCHERRY - 1822 labour list

BALLOAN (Ballone) – on road into Dornoch 

BALVRAID – Gaelic, high township 

BIRICHEN (Berrichen) – Norse, edge of birch wood – west side of A9 between Evelix and Poles 

BRAE OF DALNAMAIN (Brae, Brea) – in Strath Carnaig, north of Rearquhar – from 1787 held by Col. Geo. Sutherland – in Strath Carnaig, road from Mound to Loch Bhuidhie 

CAMBUSAVIE – east side of A9 north of Embo 

CAMBUSMORE (Cambusoure) – An Camas Mor, the large bay – part of the Rearquhar estate – in Strath Carnaig, road from Mound to Loch Bhuidhie 

CAMORE (Caamore) – An Cadha Mor, a large steep ascent – leaving A9 towards Dornoch

CLASHBUY - 1822 labour list

CLASHFLUICH - 1822 labour list

CLASHMORE – An Clais Mor, the big ditch or large hollow – as you cross into Sutherland on A9 left turn at junction with road to Bonar Bridge to Clashmore 

CLASHMUGACH – turn left at Clashmore 

CLASHNAGRAVE – Gaelic, hollow of trees – west side of A9 north of Dornoch town

CLASH-NA-LARACH - 1822 labour list 

CULNICROCK – part of the Rearquhar estate 

CUTHILL – Norse, Ketil’s field – near Lonemore 

CYDERHALL – the English form of the name was Sydera before the ornate creation of Cyderhall – Norse, Sigurd’s howe – this is the burial place of Sigurd Eysteinson who subjugated Caithness and Sutherland for the Norse – to the right of A9 soon after entering Sutherland 

DALCHIEL – west side of A9 between Evelix and Poles 

DALINLINE – part of the Rearquhar estate 

DAL LIATH (Dalaidh?) – part of the Rearquhar estate 

DALMORE – 1772 part of the tack of Little Torboll 

DALNAMAIN – see Brae of Dalnamain 

DALVRAY - 1822 labour list

DAVOCHFIN – near Eaglefield 

DORNOCH – Gaelic, horse’s hoof 

DOW ELLAM – part of the Rearquhar estate 

DRUMDIVAN (Drimdivan) – near Camore 

EAGLEFIELD – Norse, Helgi’s field – near Lonemore – south of Dornoch 

EMBO – Norse, Eyvind’s big farm or pebbly beach town – just north of Dornoch on coast
EMBO HILTON - 1822 labour list 

EVELIX – Gaelic, Eibhleag – ember, referring to a sparkling stream – west side of A9 above Dornoch

FERRYTOWN - also known as Little Ferry

FLEUCHARY (Flewchary) – Gaelic, wet sheiling - part of the Rearquhar estate – west side of A9 between Evelix and Poles 

FLOAD – Norse, flood tide 

FOURPENNY – east side of A9 north of Embo 

FORSALAG – 1772 part of the tack of Little Torboll 

GASHAGAICH – see Kessagich 

KESSAGICH (Gashagaich) – part of the Rearquhar estate – west side of A9 between Evelix and Poles 

KNOCKGLASS – east side of A9 north of Embo 

LEDNABIRICHEN – Gaelic, slope of heights – west side of A9 between Evelix and Poles

LEDNACLAY - 1822 labour list 

LITTLE TORBOLL – north of Rearquhar – from 1772 held by Col. Geo. Sutherland – in Strath Carnaig, road from Mound to Loch Bhuidhie 

LITTLETOWN – below Dornoch town on coast 

LONDUY - 1822 labour list

LONEMORE – near Cyderhall 

PITFOUR – Pictish, township pasture 

PITGRUDY – Gaelic, common place – just to the north of Balloan 

POLES – west side of A9 between Evelix and Poles 

PRONCY – west side of A9 between Evelix and Poles 

PRONCYCROY – right of A9 north of Evelix

PRONCYNAIRD - 1822 labour list

REARQUHAR (Riarchar) – Gaelic, rhi, declivity, last part may be a proper name - pre 1787 part of the Skelbo estate – 1787 till 1815 held by Col. Geo. Sutherland – west side of A9 between Evelix and Poles 

RESTOCKAH - 1822 labour list

RINEMORE – part of the Rearquhar estate 

SANDYCROFT - Cyderhall - 1822 labour list

SKELBO – Norse, shell sand big farm or shell town – east side of A9 north of Embo on coast 

SKELBO MUIR – east side of A9 north of Embo 

SKIBO – turn left at Clashmore 

TRENTHAM – east side of A9 north of Embo 

TORBOLL – Norse, turf big farm or township – near Little Torboll on north side of River Fleet


See also Google Map on right.

last updated 27/2/2016

No comments:

Post a Comment